(This lesson takes 1 – 2 class periods)
- Students will listen to three WWI songs. Each student will have handouts of the song lyrics for each song to follow along as the song plays. (Student Handout 8.4.1) (See resources for mp3 song files)
- After listening to the songs students will be put into groups of four and be given a Song Analysis Worksheet (Student Handout 8.4.2) to complete as a group.
- Have students discuss as a class their responses to the questions.
1. “Over There” lyrics and recording from:
2. “I Don’t Know Where I’m going but I’m On My Way” lyrics and recording from:
3. “Send Me Away With a Smile” lyrics and recording from:
5. Questions from Song Analysis Worksheet taken from:
Students will be graded on group participation while analyzing the songs. Extra Credit could be given to students who want to write and perform their own songs.